[geos-devel] RFC7: Discontinue use of autotools

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Jan 11 01:09:58 PST 2021

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021, Sean Gillies wrote:

> Hi Roger and all,
>
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 12:25 PM Roger Bivand <Roger.Bivand at nhh.no> wrote:

>> The RFC mentions the preferences of commmitters; this is wrong-headed,
>> because the actually useful feedback comes from those in R/Python/etc. who
>> may be able to find regressions, but who will stop testing before release
>> if building from the repo or from source in general gets harder. Then you
>> risk making releases which cause havoc downstream, because you are making
>> it harder for people like me to build from source.  What the committers
>> prefer will decide this, but it isn't wise.
>>
>> Roger
>>

> I can't speak for any other downstream projects or packagers, but the
> Shapely project won't be terribly inconvenienced by a complete switch to
> Cmake.

Sean: Thanks, this is useful.

Cmake proponents: apart from the reservations raised by packagers, why for
me does rm -rf _build not lead to

mkdir _build && cd _build && cmake .. && make

taking the same time when repeated compare to the first time through? What
else do I need to delete to distclean the previous build? Is what I am
seeing from searching correct, that cmake squirrels stuff away and does
not offer any distclean to zero the build completely?

How can one be sure that stale stuff is not hanging around when using
cmake .. in an empty _build in the local git repo?

Roger

--
Roger Bivand
Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.