[geos-devel] RFC7: Discontinue use of autotools

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Jan 12 12:16:40 PST 2021

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 11:26:42AM +0100, Roger Bivand wrote:
>
>> (log out and reboot system)
>>
>> mkdir _build
>> cd _build
>> cmake ../geos-3.9.0
>> time make
>>
>> # real	0m12.358s
>> # user	0m8.308s
>> # sys	0m3.393s
>>
>> The ouput objects are being cached somewhere, and survive a reboot. They are
>> not in the Gnome wastebasket either (rm doesn't put them there).
>
> Are you using ccache ?
> Check out ~/.ccache

Thanks! This is correct, but I didn't see it advertised:

tar xvfj geos-3.9.0.tar.bz2
mkdir _build
cd _build
rm -rf ~/.ccache
cmake ../geos-3.9.0
# -- Check for working C compiler: /usr/lib64/ccache/cc - skipped
# -- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/lib64/ccache/c++ - skipped
du -sm ~/.ccache
# 1	/home/rsb/.ccache
CCACHE_DISABLE=1 time make
# 8:24.54
du -sm ~/.ccache
# 1     /home/rsb/.ccache
cd ..
rm -rf _build
mkdir _build
cd _build
cmake ../geos-3.9.0
CCACHE_DISABLE=1 time make
# 7:32.33
du -sm ~/.ccache
# 1     /home/rsb/.ccache

cmake itself is also ccaching, but

CCACHE_DISABLE=1 time cmake ../geos-3.9.0

stops it. I put CCACHE_DISABLE=1 in a start-up file to be on the safe
side. Now, rm -rf _build does remove all traces of the build.

Roger

--
Roger Bivand
Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.