[geos-devel] cmake configuration troubles (aka: farewell autotools, you'll be missed)

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Tue Mar 2 00:11:11 PST 2021

My geos master (89886fb23) build configuration fails
(worked with autotools just fine):

  $ cmake .. 2>&1 > /dev/null | tee err.log | wc -l
  74

The above means cmake is flooding stderr with 74 lines.
My terminal only has 41 lines, so most of it I don't see.
Will use a pager. First lines on stderr look like this:

	CMake Error at tests/xmltester/CMakeLists.txt:30 (target_link_libraries):
		Target "tinyxml2" of type OBJECT_LIBRARY may not be linked into another
		target.  One may link only to STATIC or SHARED libraries, or to executables
		with the ENABLE_EXPORTS property set.

I learn from the above that "Error" is what I should look for,
in logs, so let's see if there's any other:

	$ grep Error err.log
	CMake Error at tests/xmltester/CMakeLists.txt:30 (target_link_libraries):

Not enough information about the error, but it looks like it being
the only error. Warnings are more:

	$ grep -A4 Warning err.log
	CMake Warning at benchmarks/algorithm/CMakeLists.txt:22 (find_package):
		By not providing "Findbenchmark.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this project
		has asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by
		"benchmark", but CMake did not find one.

	--
	CMake Warning at benchmarks/algorithm/locate/CMakeLists.txt:14 (find_package):
		By not providing "Findbenchmark.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this project
		has asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by
		"benchmark", but CMake did not find one.

	--
	CMake Warning at benchmarks/geom/CMakeLists.txt:12 (find_package):
		By not providing "Findbenchmark.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this project
		has asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by
		"benchmark", but CMake did not find one.

	--
	CMake Warning at benchmarks/index/chain/CMakeLists.txt:12 (find_package):
		By not providing "Findbenchmark.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this project
		has asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by
		"benchmark", but CMake did not find one.

My cmake version is 3.10.2, as distributed in official Ubuntu 18.04 repositories.
The INSTALL file doesn't say which version is needed.

Could the CMake people please help me with continue with the development
of GEOS ? Thanks in advance.

  /\   https://strk.kbt.io/services.html