[geos-devel] RFC 10 (Move to GitHub) Next Steps

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Wed Nov 10 06:01:40 PST 2021

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 02:41:04PM +0100, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 02:38:07PM +0100, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> > > Done

> > > Sandro, can you do this now please?
> >
> > As long as nobody pushes anything to Gitea there will be no mirror
> > occurring, but will secure the URL so even if hit will not do any
> > mirroring.
>
> Done, this change being now in "production" (my host)
> https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/geos/repository-sync-scripts/commit/3d81de095b2ddb670970850c3e79be8d5925f16d

I've now also updated the mirroring script to fetch from github
and push to gitlab/gitea mirrors with this (also in production):
https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/geos/repository-sync-scripts/commit/eeda522a3fb379f017cf5fe2edd05ccd21a05bff

It may be nice to setup a webhook to make the new official git repo
(github) ping the mirrorer script URL to update the old (gitlab)
and new (gitea) mirrors. Can you please do that ? (our way was using git
hooks, but we don't have access to the git repo on github so it will
need to be done in some other way).

With this commit I've removed the PING to the mirroring script from
the git hook which was installed in Gitea.
https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/geos/geos-git-hooks/commit/9e093650ac954be8420cbe8f3d1fc38603f2abb3

Looking at that hook, another 2 things which are done upon receiving
a commit (which for example would happen if the repository is turned
into a mirror) are:

  - Send a mail to geos-commit mailing list with a diff of changes
    https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/geos-commits

  - Notify Trac about the change

I guess we would want to STOP notifying Trac as well, as it's going to
turn to read-only, but the mailing list post might still be useful,
unless GitHub has support to do that, does it ?