[geos-devel] Issue references in git history

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Fri Nov 12 03:16:18 PST 2021

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 09:46:17PM -0500, Regina Obe wrote:

> > According to
> > https://docs.github.com/en/github/writing-on-github/working-with-
> > advanced-formatting/autolinked-references-and-urls
> > GitHub also understands the `GH-xxx` syntax to refer to GitHub
> - issues/pull-requests
>
> I'm all for prefixing the new tickets with GH-
> That will also solve the convergence issue of new GH tickets having the old
> numbers of old trac tickets.

Right, although it will still NOT solve the problem of old
'#xxxx' references pointing (when rendered by GitHub) to the
wrong place. This one we can not do anything about, unless we
decide to also *pay* GitHub (it looks like they have that feature
but has a cost, same as GitLab).

> Does Gitlab and Gitea have a mechanism to make sense of GH-xxx?

Somewhat.

GitLab recognizes them but when pointing to the "external issue
tracker" it strips the label and only sends the number, so we
have no way (in our script) to tell what the original reference
form was. Like GitHub GitLab also has a feature to behave differently
based on the label but is a proprietary component.

Gitea can be configured to recognize *either* `<prefix>-<number>`
or `#<number>` but not BOTH at the same time. When recognizing the
first form it will send, to the external tracker, all the information
(including prefix) so the external tracker (for example my script)
could decide what to do based on the prefix. I filed an issue to
improve this: https://github.com/go-gitea/gitea/issues/17621
and if we wanted, we could give the money to a Gitea developer rather
than to GitHub (or GitLab), so the results will still be in the open.