[geos-devel] Strange intersection results in Windows

Martin Davis mtnclimb at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 09:39:43 PDT 2021

Thanks for the bug report.  I have replied on the original sf ticket:
https://github.com/r-spatial/sf/issues/1781#issuecomment-916260161

Quoted here for the benefit of this list:

There is a bug in GEOS 3.9.0 which causes overlay to essentially drop
straight lines if they are axis-parallel. It very much sounds like this is
what you are seeing. The bug was fixed
<https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/geos/geos/commit/acefb04aac1352add0449bc7e6f38af5093134ce>
in
GEOS 3.9.1.

If it's not possible to upgrade, two workarounds are:

   - rotate the lines a very small amount
   - use intersects to detect if a line is wholly inside a polygon, and if
   so just include it in the result directly