[geos-devel] GEOSConstrainedDelaunayTriangulation

Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski me at komzpa.net
Wed Sep 29 12:59:17 PDT 2021

Hi,

After some thought, naming is terribly off and would cause a mess. The
thing should be called GEOSTesselate or GEOSTriangulatePolygon but not just
GEOSConstrainedDelaunayTriangulation.

 - the function implemented in GEOS under name of
GEOSConstrainedDelaunayTriangulation is priorly called ST_Tesselate in
SFCGAL / PostGIS.

 - ear clipping algorithm does not produce a Delaunay triangulation. In
Vladimir Agafonkin's earcut it's referenced as "polygon triangulation". The
docs referenced from its readme call alternative implementations "tesselator".
It is the name I know well from 3D graphics.

 - ST_ConstrainedDelaunayTriangles exists in PostGIS and does not
correspod to what  GEOSConstrainedDelaunayTriangulation now does.

 - https://www.cs.jhu.edu/~misha/Spring20/Chew87.pdf calls the different
thing a Constrained Delaunay Triangulation. It is not limited to interior
of polygons but just accepts any edges as constraints.