[geos-devel] Switching to C++14

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Jan 18 05:25:29 PST 2023

Daniel Baston <dbaston at gmail.com> writes:

> advantage for reasons I described in a pull request [2]. I don't see a
> reason not to make the change now, since it should have no effect on the
> number of platforms that can build GEOS. (The only versions of gcc and MSVC
> that can build GEOS also support C++14.

What is the current lowest version?  C++11 requires gcc 4.9, strictly,
but 4.8 is often enough.   Is this "4.9 worked before and will still
work", or something else.

In general, it's harder for people to upgrade compilers than other
things, partly because C++ in practice more or less requires building
everything that ends up in a binary with the same version, which means
only having one.

Personally, as long  as gcc7 is ok, it won't bother me.