[Geotiff] Virus Email

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jul 22 06:26:39 PDT 2004

Folks,

A few virus emails have gotten through on the list recently due to having
apparently come from subscribers.  I have just reduced the maximum message
size to 30K which I hope will be a bit smaller than the viruses and block
them for approval where I can toss them.  Try to avoid legitimate messages
this large though I would likely get around to approving them within a day
or two if they looked sufficiently legitimate.

I would add that I have to review 30-40 messages of spam and viruses per
day for the geotiff list.  If a messages does come to me for review (because
it was too large, or from an unsubscribed address) there is a high risk of
it being discarded (without reply) unless it looks legitimate on first glance.
Primarily that means having a very GeoTIFF'y subject line.  I try to spend
less than a second looking at the subject and/or from address before deciding
whether to look closer or just discard.

In general, in this age of email spam/virus deluge it behoves email senders
to use very distinct identifying subject lines or risk getting deleted as
spam.  In my case this also applies to direct email where I blow away anything
that comes to my email box looking the least un-kosher.

Best regards,