[Geotiff] Re: Hi

geotiff-admin at remotesensing.org geotiff-admin at remotesensing.org
Mon May 10 08:28:58 PDT 2004

On Sat, 8 May 2004 geotiff-admin at remotesensing.org wrote:

> FYI:
> The attachment you sent me contained W32.Beagle.X at mm virus.
> Roy O'Neil

Notes like that don't help a great deal these days:  Most of the
viruses fake the return address, so you don't really know who sent
it/who's computer was infected.

I get bounce-backs from mail supposedly sent by one of my accounts,
fairly often.  I don't run any form of Windows and my Linux boxes
have not been compromised, so these mails were faked by viruses
using addresses snagged from people's e-mail folders on infected
Windows machines.  Because I'm on a lot of lists and some of them
are quite large, it's pretty hard to track down which machine(s) on
those lists are infected.

I didn't get any indication this time that my address was used for
these attachments, but just figured I'd let you know how smart the
viruses are getting these days.