[Geotiff] Transferring GeoTiff tags

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Oct 27 11:14:48 PDT 2004

Ned Horning wrote:
> Greetings,
>

> Does anyone out there know if there is an easy way to transfer GeoTiff
> tags to a non-geo Tiff file?
>

> What I am trying to do is open a GeoTiff image into Photoshop do some
> enhancement and annotation and then export the image. I’d like to be
> able to copy the GeoTiff tags from the original image and transfer them
> to the Photoshop output image. I thought there was a utility to do this
> but can’t seem to find it.

Ned,

You can use the listgeo utility to dump the geo information to a text file
from the original GeoTIFF file.  Then copy the file produced by Photoshop
to a new file with the geotifcp utility, applying the geo tags in the
process.

eg.

listgeo original.tif > original.geo

photoshop original.tif --> producing photoshop_out.tif

geotifcp -g original.geo photoshop_out.tif final.tif

Of course, you can't resize the image with photoshop or you will need to
update the tags accordingly.  Also, the geotifcp step may change the
organization of the data (uncompress, etc) and lose some photoshop
specific tags so keep that in mind.

Best regards,