[Geotiff] Failure in GTIFImport Error

Howlett, Dave howlettd at AGR.GC.CA
Fri Feb 11 12:58:21 PST 2005

I'm trying to create my 1st GeoTiff here, and so far I have been
skunked. I have a scanned map where I don't know the projection, but I
have several known lat-long points on the map that should enable me to
geotiif this image.  When I run geotifcp I end up getting a "Failure in
GTIFImport" Error, and a couple of warnings.

C:\Program Files\FWTools0.9.4>geotifcp -g input_meta.txt
myimages\ab30_map_ft_vermilion.tif output.tif

myimages\ab30_map_ft_vermilion.tif: Warning, incorrect count for field
"MinSampleValue" (1, expecting 3); tag ignored.

myimages\ab30_map_ft_vermilion.tif: Warning, incorrect count for field
"MaxSampleValue" (1, expecting 3); tag ignored.

Failure in GTIFImport

I'm not sure whether this is likely something to do with the
MinSampleValue and MaxSampleValue, or something else that I have
overlooked in my input tags, or ????

Here is the content of the input_meta.txt file I put together based upon
the example at:

http://www.remotesensing.org/geotiff/spec/geotiff3.html#3.2.1.

I've tried running it while experimenting with a few additional tags as
well, but the results were the same.

ModelTiepointTag = (

  297.0, 602.0, 0.0, -116.0, 59.0, 0.0,

  2965.0, 604.0, 0.0, -115.0, 59.0, 0.0,

  2995.0, 5774.0, 0.0, -115.0, 58.0, 0.0)

GeoKeyDirectoryTag:

  GTModelTypeGeoKey = 1

  GTRasterTypeGeoKey = 1

  GeographicTypeGeoKey = 6267 (I'm assuming NAD27 here)

The results of running tiffinfo may offer some clue as well.

C:\Program Files\FWTools0.9.4>tiffinfo
myimages/ab30_map_ft_vermilion.tif

myimages/ab30_map_ft_vermilion.tif: Warning, incorrect count for field
"MinSampleValue" (1, expecting 3); tag ignored.

myimages/ab30_map_ft_vermilion.tif: Warning, incorrect count for field
"MaxSampleValue" (1, expecting 3); tag ignored.

TIFF Directory at offset 0x8

  Subfile Type: (0 = 0x0)

  Image Width: 3233 Image Length: 6397

  Resolution: 300, 300 pixels/inch

  Bits/Sample: 8

  Compression Scheme: None

  Photometric Interpretation: RGB color

  Thresholding: bilevel art scan

  FillOrder: msb-to-lsb

  Orientation: row 0 top, col 0 lhs

  Samples/Pixel: 3

  Rows/Strip: (infinite)

  Planar Configuration: single image plane

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated!

Dave