[Geotiff] GeoKey value size limation

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 13:11:06 PST 2005

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:03:54 -0500, Watson, Dave
<Dave.Watson at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am currently trying to write a character string of approximately 5000
> characters to a GeoKey Value. The current limit is 1000 values (bytes) ie.
> MAX_VALUES = 1000.  I was wondering if there are any plans to extend the
> limits or possibly allow for dynamic memory allocation in the future?

Dave,

I hadn't run into this limitation before, but it does seem quite
artificial.  I wouldn't mind relaxing this (perhaps to 64K?) in
libgeotiff but we would need to verify that this doesn't cause
problems for reading applications.

I would encourage you to file a bug in the libgeotiff bugzilla on the
issue.

The fix will likely take some work, since I would prefer to make the
structures dynamic that have fixed size now.

Best regards,