[Geotiff] Projection CS Encoding

Pascal Peuch peuchpascal at wanadoo.fr
Fri May 13 15:21:45 PDT 2005

I am not sure I totally undestand your question, but

It is not really a distance unit. It is coordinates in a specific coordinate system. Yours is a projected coordinate system. You have to store TiePoint according to this coordinate system.
There are no predefined 'units' for values stored in ModelTiePointTag and ModelPixelScaleTag, These values are defined by the coordinate system specified in the GeoKeyDirectoryTag.

I don't think so. Moreover, I can't figure out why you want to do that?
Should I undestand that you know the tiepoint coordinate only in lat/long and you don't know it in your projected system. If so why just don't you transform it with GEOTRANS utility for example ?

Looks like your image is "rectified". That is : your georeferencing model is the following function.
X = ax + b
Y = a'x + b'
where (X,Y) are the coordinates of any point in a projection P.
(x,y) are the pixel 'coordinates' of this point
a and a' are derived from pixel size
b and b' are derived from the tiepoint
In your case P is a particular Lambert conformal projection.

The proces is thus :
1/
Look  for your particular lambert projection (depending on standard parallels) in EPSG database.
If it exists : just get the code from EPSG and store it in the adequat geokey
If it doesn't exist, two solutions :
    rectify your image in a widespread projection (at least one existing in EPSG)
    or
    user-defined you projection in geokeys (mind that a lot of readers software are not able to read that type of images)
2/
store in the ModelTiePoint Tag, coordinates (according to your coordinate system) of the upper left pixel (have a look at pixelisArea definition in the specification)
3/
Store the pixel sizes (X and Y spacings in the unit of your coordinate system) in the ModelPixelScale

Hope this will help.

Pascal