[Geotiff] Easier way to Georeference TIF's?

Dennis Megarry dennis at megarry.com
Tue Apr 18 07:40:51 PDT 2006

I've spent a great deal of money trying to find the best solution for georeferencing my scanned charts without much luck.  I'm hoping someone on this list may have a better solution..

I scan 47 charts every 56 days, I have about 2 days to get these georeferenced out out the door.  Each chart has lat/lon lines and I have all the projection info for them.

What I have done so far:

Global Mapper:

This is a very good package, but takes about 1/2 an hour to rectify a scan chart, doesn't have any options for what math it uses when generating the Georeferenced chart, so the edges fall off sharply if you can not get the edges rectified close enough.  Also, takes FOREVER to generate a GeoTIFF!  anywhere from an hour to 1.5 hours.  I though it was may machine, so I built a box with the latest and greatest AMD CPU I could find ($1200 ouch!), put 2GB's of fast RAM in there and a 300GB 7500RPM drive with a dual monitor graphics card.   Still takes an hour or more.. ARGH!

ESRI ArcGIS 9.1

Tried rectifying a chart in ArcMAP, was VERY fast and easy.  Lets me choose what methode it uses to calculate the reference points.  Only problem is, you can't export a GeoTIFF in any resolution other than screen resolution..  And I then have to go back and add the coordinate system to each chart.  Tried writing VB code using ArcObjects to export, but still having problems exporting (mainly the extends).

I found a photshop plugin from another company that lets you georeference charts in PhotoShop CS, but ARGH!  Way to difficult, and lacks the ability to bring in another chart as a reference.

Anyone know of something better that I can use to speed up this process?  I haven't tried Manifold yet (no eval version).    Or better yet, does anyone offer plugin's for ArcMAP that will solve me problems?

Thanks!

Dennis