[Geotiff] I am a newbie who has a need to know

Wells, John - FS john.r.wells at oregonstate.edu
Thu Aug 24 11:38:07 PDT 2006

Hi,

I am producing geographic data using a variety of platforms for a
research project in Global climate change.  I am not a student and this
is sponsored by the Nature Conservancy.  The project will result in a
large number of files containing atmospheric and ecotone information.
The client has asked that the data be in Geotiff format.  We have never
used Geotiff.  I have not written programs to convert from one data type
to another although I know with effort I can, but we had hoped a module
or conversion program might already exist that would convert our data to
Geotiff.  After reading on this listserv and other web locations about
Geotiff I wonder if that is possible.  Since I know so little I don't
know how one adds georeferencing tags to a standard tiff file.  Is there
a utility that does this.  I should mention that our data is in NetCDF
and the most common gis we use is GRASS.  Any help or advice you can
offer would be appreciated?  I will keep reading.

Thanks,
John Wells
MAPSS Team
PNW Forest Research Labs