[Geotiff] clip out image from within a geotiff

Ted Florence ted at avenza.com
Mon Dec 4 04:55:48 PST 2006

You can do this in Photoshop using the magic wand tool but you will need
the Geographic Imager plugin in order to preserve the spatial
information and retain the geotiff properties.

John Mitchell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a geotiff file which is rectangular but the actual image is
> irregular in shape and is surrounded on the outside by solid black.
> Since I have no need to display the outside black part of the file I
> would like to clip this out.  I have already brought the geotiff file
> in ArcMap and drawn the outline of the image that I want to keep to a
> shape file.  So I have the shape file and also the coordinates of that
> shape of the image that I want to keep.
> How can I clip out the image using either the shape file or the
> coordinates as input to this geotiff?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> John J. Mitchell

Ted Florence
ted at avenza.com

MAPublisher 7.1 for Adobe Illustrator CS & CS2 is now available.
Geographic Imager for Adobe Photoshop is also available.
Order your copy today at http://www.avenza.com/products.ordering.html

MAPublisher - When Map Quality MattersĀ®
Avenza Systems (416) 487-5116 http://www.avenza.com
Developers of Geographic Imager, MAPublisher, MAPdataUSA, MAPdataWorld & MajorCitiesUSA
Bridging the gap between your GIS and major graphics software