[Geotiff] :MapInfo Tab files for GEOTIFFs

Russell Ron Ron.Russell at UKHO.gov.uk
Thu Feb 2 04:14:59 PST 2006

Good Afternoon,

We have a (old?) version of ListGeo that is used to produce MapInfo .tab
files from GEOTIFFs, to allow them to be loaded into an application that
uses MapInfo MapX.  This version of ListGeo (with the -tab switch) has
been here longer than I have and I do not know its history!

I have just tracked down some inconsistencies in position of data in
different layers in our application to the fact that the tab files we
are using all specify that the datum is OSGB1936 and the projection is
Mercator, despite the fact that most of the Geotiffs specify that the
datum is WGS 84 and that at least some of them are Transverse Mercator.

Does anyone recognise this switch? Does it just not work and that is why
it has disappeared, or is there something wrong with our environment,
for example I was wondering if it needs access to CSV files?

How else can we create suitable .tab files from GEOTIFFS?

Thanks for any help.

Ron Russell

Service Provision (Applications Software Group 1)

UK Hydrographic Office

Telephone: +44(0)1823 337900 ext 3798

mailto: ron.russell at ukho.gov.uk

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are the property of the United Kingdom Hydrographic Office and are intended for the confidential use of the named recipient only. Its unauthorised use, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all copies and inform the sender by return e-mail. This footnote also confirms that this e-mail message has been swept by Sophos Antivirus for the presence of computer viruses. You are however advised to carry out your own virus checks.