[Geotiff] RasterPixelIsArea versus RasterPixelIsPoint and listgeo -tfw

Pierre Soille Pierre.Soille at jrc.it
Mon Jan 16 10:42:20 PST 2006

Ed,

thanks for your kind email.

Grissom, Ed wrote:
> Pierre -
> This is confusing issue.   I want to be clear that I understand the
> problem
> before I give advice.  Are we in agreement on the following points, or
> am I
> misunderstanding ?
>

> #1 - TFW files should always be referenced to the "center-of-pixel",
> similar
> to the PixelIsPoint reference in GeoTIFF.

I also understand that TFW files should always be referenced to the
"center-of-pixel".
> #2 - "Listgeo -tfw" must take into consideration the
> GTRasterTypeGeoKey when
> it produces the tfw file.  In fact, it needs to add a half pixel shift
> when
> GTRasterTypeGeoKey is PixelIsArea.

This is what I thought it should do.  But it seems that  "Listgeo -tfw"
ignores
GTRasterTypeGeoKey and always assume that PixelIsArea.
> #3 - You are seeing that it adds the half pixel shift in all cases, even
> when GTRasterTypeGeoKey is PixelIsPoint.

Precisely.  I also looked at the C code of listgeo and do not see any
reference to GTRasterTypeGeoKey
(it merely calls GTIFImageToPCS
http://www.remotesensing.org/geotiff/api/geotiff_h.html#a35
to collect the coordinates of the tie points at fixed coordinate 0.5,0.5
(i.e., centre of UL pixel):

   /*     * Compute the coefficients.
    */
     x = 0.5;
     y = 0.5;

     if( !GTIFImageToPCS( gtif, &x, &y ) )
       return;
   adfCoeff[4] = x;
   adfCoeff[5] = y;

With my interpretation, the GTRasterTypeGeoKey should be used as follows
(where a_uint16 is a 16 bits unsigned integer):

    if (GTIFKeyGet(gtif,GTRasterTypeGeoKey, &a_uint16, 0, 1) != 1)
      a_uint16=RasterPixelIsArea;  /* default value if key not present */
    if  (a_uint16==RasterPixelIsArea){
       x = 0.5;          y = 0.5;
    }
    else if (a_uint16==RasterPixelIsPoint){
       x = 0.0;          y = 0.0;
    }
    else /* invalid Raster Space */
       return;
   if( !GTIFImageToPCS( gtif, &x, &y ) )
       return;
   adfCoeff[4] = x;
   adfCoeff[5] = y;

I attached a copy of the modified program (see mylistgeo.c).

> Is that a fair summary of the problem ?   Or is there more to it than
> that ?

No, this is a fair summary of the problem.

Pierre