[Geotiff] Problem compiling under MinGW/MSYS

Thom DeCarlo t.r.decarlo at larc.nasa.gov
Wed Jan 25 07:59:18 PST 2006

I have more info on this problem. The word I got from the MinGW/MSYS list is
that -lm is not required in MinGW builds. The math functions are picked up
from the Microsoft libraries. The best way to account for this seems to be
changing the line in configure.in that says:

AC_CHECK_LIB(m,exp,,,)

to be:

AC_SEARCH_LIBS([sqrt],[m])

By doing this and running autoconf (after updating autoconf to version 2.59)
I was able to create a set of Makefiles that did not include any reference
to "-lm".

However, that still didn't fix the linker problems. It seems that there is
something in the makefiles that is forcing the linker to ignore the "normal"
libraries. Now I'm getting piles of "external reference not found" errors.
The things that are not being found are things like sprintf, atoi, atof, and
(most annoyingly) all the math functions, though these are showing up as
referenced from the proj library.

Now, I know the proj library (4.4.9, pulled from CVS last night) compiled
and installed correctly, and the proj utility programs work. So there is
definitely something funky happening within the geotiff makefile.

Does anyone have *any* clue what is going on here?

Thanks,
Thom

--
Thom DeCarlo