[Geotiff] Problem compiling under MinGW/MSYS

Thom DeCarlo t.r.decarlo at larc.nasa.gov
Tue Jan 31 06:31:05 PST 2006

Frank,
I received a response from the MinGW/MSYS list that said I may have a old
version of the Developer's ToolKit and I should check for individual package
updates. Unfortunately, I didn't see this message until after I spent a bit
more time working with what I already had on my machine. I'll try to figure
out what packages I need to download and see what changes.

In the mean time, I deleted all of my geotiff stuff and grabbed a clean
version from the CVS. While running the ./configure I saw one line that said
something to the effect of "Checking for ld -shared... no" and another line
saying "Checking for exp in -lm... yes"

Running the make successfully compiled the program files, but the linker
failed with:
ar r libgeotiff.a xtiff.o geo_free.o geo_get.o geo_names.o geo_new.o
geo_print.o geo_set.o geo_tiffp.o geo_write.o geo_trans.o
geo_normalize.o geotiff_proj4.o geo_extra.o cpl_serv.o cpl_csv.o
ranlib libgeotiff.a
ld -shared xtiff.o geo_free.o geo_get.o geo_names.o geo_new.o
geo_print.o geo_set.o geo_tiffp.o geo_write.o geo_trans.o
geo_normalize.o geotiff_proj4.o geo_extra.o cpl_serv.o  cpl_csv.o
-L/usr/local/lib -lproj -L/usr/local/lib -ltiff  -lm  -L/usr/local/lib
-lz -L/usr/local -ljpeg -o libgeotiff.so.1.2.2
c:\MinGW\bin\ld.exe: cannot find -lm
make: *** [libgeotiff.so.1.2.2] Error 1

I then changed the line in configure.in from "AC_CHECK_LIB(m,exp,,,)" to
"AC_SEARCH_LIBS([sqrt],[m])" and ran the autoconf and ./configure again.
This time configure said something like "Searching for sqrt in m... not
needed".

However, the make did not create a shared library. I then ran

make LD_SHARED="gcc -shared" GEOTIFF_SO=libgeotiff.so.1.2.2

and the shared library was finally created.

--
Thom DeCarlo
      Given sufficient time and money, all things are possible.