[Geotiff] USGS data - elevation and orthographic data

Steve Ziuchkovski smzjunk at ziuchkovski.com
Tue Jan 23 15:31:48 PST 2007

Hello! I'm going to be upfront an admit that I'm very unexperienced when it comes to this stuff.

I am attempting to create new scenery for a flight simulator. I've downloaded data from seamless.usgs.gov. I obtained 10m elevation data for the Portland, Oregon area, and also high resolution orthographic data (sattelite visual light images) in geotiff format.

The problem is this: I'm using FreeView V10 to open both the elevation (.adf file) and the .tif file. They both load fine, however the .tif is not mapped properly. The coordinates run in the 55000 range, instead of -122 W 45 N. I attempted extracting the metadata from the tif to a text file and modifying it, then reinserting back in. I do get different coordinates, but they are still very wrong.

How can I do this?

Am I asking the correct group of people?

Thank you,
Steve Ziuchkovski