[Geotiff] Images vs DEMs in GeoTiff

Nagle, Gail A (US SSA) gail.nagle at baesystems.com
Wed Jun 25 19:29:03 PDT 2008

Hi Cody,

Thanks for adding this info. If the misinterpretation of the value of the GTRasterTypeGeoKey has become commonplace, I do think a better solution is available in the 1.5 Draft spec of GeoTIFF. We have a copy of a document numbered Specification version 1.9.3 dated 14 June 2001 from Niles Ritter. It contains the following proposed key in section 4.4.1:

DataInterpretationGeoKey
Key ID = 1103
Type = SHORT (code)
Values:
DataMultispectral=1
DataElevation=2
DataVector=3
DataThematic=4

I don't know if the 1.5 Draft is still being considered or not. But it does seem that the power of GeoTIFF is such that it is being used in ways that were not originally planned for. So having a definitive key describing the content of the file would be very useful.

In the meantime, when we are trying to determine what kind of data we have, an image or a DEM, we are going to look for the value RasterPixelIsPoint and assume it is a DEM and try to load it as such. Likewise, if the value is RasterPixelIsArea, we will try to load it as an image. If the user is not happy with our interpretation of the data, we will provide a way for the user to specify how to load the data: DEM or Image.

Thanks for taking the time to weigh in on this. Things do get complicated!

-Gail