[Geotiff] RE: Copy projection between GeoTIFFs

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Nov 11 10:32:38 PST 2008

jeskynar wrote:
> [looks like hotmail threw away my message body!]
>
> Is there a way of copying a projection from one GeoTIFF to another without
> completely rewriting the latter?
>
> There seems to be a "-a (append)" option to newer versions of geotifcp but
> it is not documented and didn't do what I expected.

Jeskynar,

I believe the -a appends a new image to the existing TIFF file.

The listgeo and geotifcp cannot be used to reset the geotiff information
"in place" as things stand though this can be accomplished using the API
with some care.  GDAL does this for instance.

It would be relatively easy to modify geotifcp to have a "reset geo tags
from metadata file, but do nothing else" option or perhaps write a small
new utility called "applygeo".  However, I'm not likely to do so.

Best regards,