[Geotiff] Copy projection between GeoTIFFs

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Nov 12 09:24:01 PST 2008

jeskynar wrote:
> warmerdam at pobox.com wrote:
>> The listgeo and geotifcp cannot be used to reset the geotiff information
>> "in place" as things stand though this can be accomplished using the API
>> with some care. GDAL does this for instance.
>
> Do you mean there is a GDAL utility or something in the API?
>
>> It would be relatively easy to modify geotifcp to have a "reset geo tags
>> from metadata file, but do nothing else" option or perhaps write a small
>> new utility called "applygeo". However, I'm not likely to do so.
>
> Below is my attempt an applygeo.c, but I haven't used the libgeotiff API
> "with some care" because it doesn't appear to do anything!  And if I add
> a call to TIFFRewriteDirectory before XTIFFClose it crashes (assertion
> tif_flags&0x80000 failed). Any ideas?

Jeskynar,

I added the TIFFRewriteDirectory() and it worked fine for me, but I'm using
libtiff4 (latest from cvs).  What version of libtiff are you using?

I also found I had to make an effort to clear the existing tags if I wanted
to be able to replace existing geotiff tags properly (clearing existing tags
that aren't in the new .geo file).  I have attached my modified version.

If you give me permission to distribute your code under the normal libtiff
license, I'll add applygeo in subversion.

Best regards,