[Geotiff] How to read the pixel value (color) in a GeoTiff

Craig Fournier cfournier at redzonesoftware.com
Tue Apr 7 12:05:56 PDT 2009

What is the best tool to use to read the pixel value (color) at a particular
latitude and longitude in a GeoTiff file?  I am working in Java and prefer a
Java solution, but can also use C code.  The routines I see, allow for
reading the header and translating image files from one format to another.
I just need a small fast read routine to read a file on disk and return the
pixel value.  I don't want to hold this file in memory as it is a large
file.