[Geotiff] Geotiff List: Tool to convert 8-bit gray to RGBA using a custom color table?

Jeff Bullard jeffbullard2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 14 14:43:51 PST 2009

GeoTIFF list,

I have weather data that is represented as an 8-bit GeoTIFF with one band (grayscale).  I would like to use a color table to convert into RGBA for map display.

Are there any existing tools to do this?  I use a linux platform with FWTools for most of my work.

Previously I used Mapserver and a mapfile to render single-band raster into a color map.  Now I'm trying Google Earth API to display the same maps.  I'm new at KML and have found no way to use KML to do simple color mapping that my current mapfiles perform, which is to render the grayscale into 6 shades of blue.  I'm hoping to use some GDAL utility to convert the grayscale GeoTIFFs into RGBA using a color table stored in a file.  I haven't found a way to do it.

My other alternative is to write some code in C using libtiff and/or libpng to perform the color operations.  Before I get into that I want to ask the list f there is a simple way to do it using existing tools.

Thanks,
Jeff Bullard