[Geotiff] Geotiff List: Tool to convert 8-bit gray to RGBA using a custom color table?

Jeff Bullard jeffbullard2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 15 14:17:16 PST 2009

Thanks for the reply.  I wrote a short C program using libpng to accomplish the task.  The projection information was lost but that's OK since all my images are EPSG 4326 (lat/long WGS84) as required for Google Earth KML.  Extent information was preserved in the final png image which was a surprise.

Too bad KML doesn't support this because it would allow the user to change the color table on-the-fly to get better contrast in some weather features.