[Geotiff] Affine Transformation

Gianni Rossi g.rossi at tecnobitmail.com
Sat Mar 7 15:37:00 PST 2009

Hi All,

I'm new both to this mail-list and to GeoTIFF too.

Nevertheless, I'm developing a Cad application which allows the user to pick
a desired number of points in a TIFF raster image (thus the application
retrieves their raster coordinates) and inputs their corresponding model
coordinates. Then the application performs an affine transformation between
the two systems and calculates the 4 parameters: X translation, Y
translation, scaling factor, rotation angle.

So my question is: how do I store this georeferencing data into the original
TIFF file so that it becomes a GeoTIFF file?

Looking at some documentation, it seems that ModelTransformationTag would do
the case, but unfortunately I could not find specification on how to
transform my (affine transformation) parameters into its arguments.

Another option for me could be to create a TFW file, but also in this case I
don't understand how to convert my affine transformation 4 parameters into
the TFW values. Also, Cad software, such as AutoCAD, seems to ignore the
second and third lines of a TFW (X/Y rotation).

Any help to lead me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated,
thanks in advance.

Gianni Rossi

Tecnobit S.r.l.