[Geotiff] "standards" process?

brownrigg at sunflower.com brownrigg at sunflower.com
Fri May 8 09:05:27 PDT 2009

In both libgeotiff (and also embedded in GDAL),  there appears to be a "canonical" encoding for the various supported projections. Can anyone comment on how those standards (or conventions perhaps) came to be, and more importantly, what the process might be for extending them?

I have commented here before that I believe the convention for polar stereographic is not quite correct (link below), and am further interested in seeing support added what proj4 calls the "General Oblique Transformation" (proj=ob_tran) added.  I'm prepared to provide a fix for the former (assuming everyone/anyone agrees its a bug), and a proposal for the later, but how best to proceed?

http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/geotiff/2009-April/000559.html

Thanks
Rick Brownrigg