[Geotiff] GeoTIFF and the OGC

Carl Reed creed at opengeospatial.org
Mon Oct 26 15:01:27 PDT 2009

Well, Howard, there is a GeoTIFF user community out there that 1.) does not
want to see the GeoTIFF grassroots community "destroyed" but 2.) does want
GeoTIFF to be an international standard that can be referenced as such in
policy and procurement. What would you suggest we do??

That said, I am sorry you have issues with the OGC process. But based on
what you have written, I believe you may have some misconceptions about the
OGC and OGC processes.

The OGC process is much more open to non-Member participation than you
believe.

1. OGC Working Groups can be made open to participation by OGC Members and
non-Members. For example, the OGC Mass Market, Hydrology, and
Meteorology/Oceans Domain Working Groups are open to anyone who wishes to
participate.
2. The entire change request process is publicly accessible. Anyone at any
time can submit a change request using the public change request proposal
web application. All change requests, whether Member or non-Member in origin
are publicly accessible.
3. OGC Interoperability Experiments can have non-Member participation. The
only stipulation is that the non-Member must sign a participant agreement.
Both the Galeon and the Oceans Interoperability Experiments have non-Member
participation.
4. OGCNetwork is a public resource that anyone at anytime can provide and
maintain content. OGCNetwork is a community resource.
5. Any draft/candidate standards are required to go to a 30 day public
comment period. Anyone can provide comments (Members and non-Members).
6. All OGC face to face minutes are made publicly available (this was at the
suggestion of the OSGeo community!)

As you can see, there are many points of opportunity for continued
collaboration between the GeoTIFF community and the OGC community.

Perhaps even more importantly, the OSGeo and OGC Memorandum of Understanding
provides the mechanism for providing free OGC membership to OSGeo
participants. Specifically: OGC provides OSGeo with six one year Individual
Memberships in the OGC at no charge, to be awarded to qualifying OSGeo
members based on a selection process to be conducted by OSGeo.  So, if you
are willing to help, there is a mechanism!

As to reference implementations and so forth, this is great!  One of the
requirements for a document becoming an OGC standard is that there be
reference implementations.

As to a community standard surviving the OGC process, well there is no
intention on the part of the OGC to stop the community process. And if
individuals such as yourself particpate and help in the process then we can
insure that the communtiy process does survive. An excellent example is
CityGML (www.citygml.org). CityGML started outside the OGC process, was
brought into the OGC, and became a standard. The community process is still
strong, vigorous, and the source of most of the change requests for a
revision to the current OGC CityGML standard. The community process is an
excellent source of expertise, development, testing, and creative ideas. No
one wants such processes to stop. If they do, it may be because the
community process was not viable to begin with (my perception).

As to the OGC statement on axis order, the OSGeo community was included in
the dialogue. The basic guidance is that the schema, documentation, or
encoding shall state the access order. Specifically from the guidance, ". .
. any documentation, encoding, payload, or service interface MUST state how
the coordinate axis order is actually encoded in the coordinate strings."
What is so onerous about that? If one does not honestly state how
coordinates are actually encoded in a payload, then interoperability is
broken.

Finally, where in my email did I mention "evolve"?? Revisions to any OGC
standard only happen if change requests are submitted and the community
wishes to evolve a spec. Period. And the evolution can happen entirely
outside the OGC and then change requests submitted into the OGC process.
This is how KML is evolving.

I may not allay your fears, but hopefully I have provided more food for
thought.

Regards

Carl