[Geotiff] A trivial Makefile.am patch + Fedora mingw32 packages

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 11:55:43 PDT 2009

On Sep 12, 2009, at 10:58 PM,  wrote:

> I've found the the SVN trunk appears to be slightly broken when
> issued a
> "make dist" command - the .csv files aren't included in the resulting
> geotiff.tar.gz as I believe they should.  This trivial patch fixes
> that:

Thanks for the patch!  I think you're probably the first to try 'make
dist' so far.  I have applied your patch to svn trunk.

> Secondly, I'm working on an app that I'd like to cross-compile with
> Fedora's mingw32 system.  To that end, I've got a mingw32-libgeotiff
> package working just fine and wanted to have it submitted to Fedora
> as a
> maintained package.  I'm happy to do this myself if necessary, but I
> thought I'd ask if there was a better person to handle this to avoid
> stepping on any toes.

Not as far as I know.

> Thirdly, I've found that the autotools build system in the latest
> release (1.2.5) is a bit painful to cross-compile.  The latest SVN
> revision appears to have a re-vamped build system that works
> beautifully.  Is there any urgent reason that I should be working from
> v1.2.5 instead of svn revision 1611 (or 1612 if the above patch gets
> merged)?

The dust is still settling on our autotools/automake revamp of the GNU-
style build system, so the only hesitation would be if you are seeming
to have trouble.  I think I did the first pass at it in January, and
people are still finding issues.  I'm glad to hear confirmation that
things seem to be working well and fancier stuff like cross-compiling
is now well-supported do to the overhaul.

How close are we to a new release?  Frank?

Howard