[Geotiff] [MetaCRS] question on GeoTiff axis order

Max Martinez Max.Martinez at erdas.com
Fri Dec 17 11:16:36 PST 2010

Frank,

Your approach does sound reasonable. The horse has long left the barn on
this one.

But I'm not sure I completely understand what Martin is getting at.
GeoTIFF doesn't address display of the image, only the definition of
raster space, model space and the relationship between the two. The way
I would interpret this is that implementers are not intending to change
the definition of the coordinate reference systems used from EPSG.
Rather, lack of specificity in the standard, some misleading examples
(e.g. , 3.2.1), and old habit has led to common usage of fixing the axis
order of geographic coordinate systems at Lon, Lat when specifying the
relationship between raster space and model space, regardless of the CRS
definition. This only affects the encoding of the tags that describe
this relationship (ModelPixelScaleTag, ModelTiepointTag,
ModelTransformationTag) and adopters would be advised to observe this
convention if they want to achieve interoperability.

Perhaps this has an impact elsewhere and I am overlooking it.

Max