[Geotiff] Vertical Coordinate Systems and Datums - tag best practice

Max Martinez Max.Martinez at erdas.com
Mon Feb 7 11:51:17 PST 2011

Frank,

For horizontal coordinate systems, there was some confusion with people
providing "unit overrides", i.e., specifying a unit that did not match
the unit implied by the coordinate system. We consider this a bad
practice (but of course have to accommodate it with configurable
behavior in our software). The same thing can happen with the
VerticalCS. What are you suggesting here? Is the practice to always
provide the units but make sure they match what is in the CS definition?

Also, if you don't specify a vertical cs for ellipsoidal height, there
isn't really a reliable automatic way for software to identify dems.
Perhaps not a big deal because a lot of current data doesn't have the
vertical information available anyway, but it would be nice. Other
approaches would seem to be awkward though (e.g., repeating the
horizontal datum and using the 3d ellipsoidal epsg cs code).

Max