[Geotiff] Proposed TOWGS84 GeoKey for GeoTIFF

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Mar 9 18:08:49 PST 2011

On 11-03-07 04:39 PM, Christian Zietz wrote:
> Frank Warmerdam schrieb:
>
>> It has been an irritant to me for some time that there is no way of
>> recording a preferred datum transformation for a coordinate system in
>> GeoTIFF format.  I would like to rectify that with an unofficial GeoKey
>> to record OGC WKT style TOWGS84 values.  I have written up a brief
>> proposal at:
>>
>>     http://trac.osgeo.org/geotiff/wiki/TOWGS84GeoKey
>
> Let me add that the test file I prepared while proposing this feature
> still exists at<http://www.chzsoft.de/geo/GeogToWGS84GeoKey5.zip>.
>
>> From what I see, your proposal is functionally identical to the one we
> agreed upon in 2008 [1], so I hope the existance of this test file will
> help while implementing the GeogTOWGS84GeoKey. Maybe the "Cookbook for
> expressing a user defined datum" and the "Note for libgeotiff users"
> written back then would make a good addition to the documentation of
> this new key.
>
> Glad to see this is coming along.

Christian,

Well, I'm quite embarrassed to have forgotten our past discussion.  I'm
encouraged that our solutions were identical indicating in some ways it
is the obvious solution.  I have incorporated some of your test into the
page at:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/geotiff/wiki/TOWGS84GeoKey

and added your sample file on the samples download directory.  I'm sorry
for having lost track of our previous discussion.  I think it is because
things switched track into PixelIsPoint discussions. :-)

Since there has been no negative feedback now or during the original
discussion, I am going to go ahead with adding this to libgeotiff as
an unofficial extension of the spec.

Best regards,