[Geotiff] 1.4.0 release?

Dmitry Marakasov amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru
Thu Mar 29 10:17:54 PDT 2012

Hi!

Some time ago PROJ.4 library version 4.8.0 was released, and
libgeotiff-1.3.0 is not compatible with it as it uses old PROJ.4
api (projects.h) which was removed in proj update.

This was fixed in libgeotiff as long as 1.5 years ago (r1907),
however no official release of libgeotiff was made since then.
ftp has libgeotiff-1.4.0RC1.tar.gz, but I guess it didn't go
past RC1.

In the current situation users and distros are left with unpleasant
choice of either sticking with outdated version of proj (I was reported
of some proj problems which were fixed in 8.7.0) or using libgeotiff
SVN (inconvenient for users and may be against policy of distros; and
version may be unstable). Or patching libgeotiff-1.3.0 with r1907
which should work, but is still undesirable.

Isn't it time to release a new official version? I guess libgeotiff
itself has had quite enough bugfixes and improvements since 1.3.0.

--
Dmitry Marakasov   .   55B5 0596 FF1E 8D84 5F56  9510 D35A 80DD F9D2 F77D
amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru  ..:  jabber: amdmi3 at jabber.ru    http://www.amdmi3.ru