[Geotiff] cmake based build: why shared _and_ static?

Mario Emmenlauer mario at emmenlauer.de
Sat Dec 9 05:51:11 PST 2017

Dear geotiff developers,

thanks for the very nice software. A small question: why is the default
for cmake to build the shared and static version of the library? I would
prefer if only one would be built. I can use cmake's BUILD_SHARED_LIBS
option to pick. This is mostly the default for other software.

For me, this would also help to address the problem that MSVC Windows
names the import library identical to the static library by default.
libgeotiff solves this by changing the import library name, but this
opens a can of worms for me downstream.

Its not a huge problem because I can fix the issue myself and maintain
a small patch. But maybe it would be more "standard" if libgeotiff
just used cmake's BUILD_SHARED_LIBS?

All the best,

    Mario Emmenlauer

--
BioDataAnalysis GmbH, Mario Emmenlauer      Tel. Buero: +49-89-74677203
Balanstr. 43                   mailto: memmenlauer * biodataanalysis.de