[geotk] Re: [Incubator] New Application: GeoToolkit

Justin Deoliveira jdeolive at opengeo.org
Sat May 23 15:17:54 EDT 2009

Hi everyone,

I would like to respond to Daniels request to hear from the rest of the
GeoTools PMC and voice my thoughts. First off I just want to say that I
am actually not against the fork. As Howard said forks are a good thing
for OSS. And the diversity of the projects in OSGEO is one of the things
that makes it so great.

That said, I would like to rebut a point that the GeoToolkit history
makes indicating that the GeoTools PMC is over dominated by GeoServer
developers:

"Meanwhile the PMC also came to be dominated by developers working
primarily on the GeoServer project so that decisions related to the
GeoTools library were subsumed to the needs of the GeoServer project"

This is false. While I will admit having a number of GeoServer
developers on the GeoTools PMC introduces some natural bias, I can
recall a number of occasions in which technical decisions were made that
were bad for GeoServer. The use of java logging, a core dependency on
conflicting libraries, etc... were all very problematic for GeoTools
outside of its referencing core. However in the interest of
collaboration and compromise we worked around it in GeoServer.

Unfortunately the move to java 6 is not something we can work around.
GeoServer is a long running project with a wide user base and many
installations running in production. There are many organizations that
due to policy simply can't make the upgrade, and many others in which an
upgrade would be too problematic to be worth it.

Martin did eventually graciously offer to provide us with Java 5
compatible builds. But it did require a significant amount of
synchronization work on our side, so given the "take it or leave it"
offer we were forced to leave it for the time being.

Lastly I would like to point out that anyone who follows our developer
list will notice that it is often the case that the GeoServer developers
on the GeoTools project do not agree amongst themselves. Even developers
belonging to a single organization have disagreements about project
decisions. I can recall proposals in which i have been out voted on.

That said, I agree with Adrian on a number of points. The first is that
the fork has actually been good for GeoTools. It has forced some long
needed cleanup, but more importantly it has made us step back and
reevaluate some of our policies. Which is a good thing for the community.

The second thing I agree with Adrian on is that we have not ruled out
integrating with GeoToolkit. Unfortunately this has to be a slow process
for us because of a) the switch to java 6 is not trivial and b) we need
to evaluate any other issues or library conflicts that might result
since we are now effectively out of the loop.

And in closing let me state that it is my personal opinion that the real
issues here are not technical, those are solvable, but political.
Various threads scattered on mailing list and IRC (both public and
private) clearly indicate this imo.

That said, I don't envy the incubation committee on this one. A touchy
issue which will undoubtedly set the precedence for similar situations
in the future.

-Justin

Justin Deoliveira
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org