[geotk] Easy way to detect a horizontal 2D CRS?

Jon Blower j.d.blower at reading.ac.uk
Tue Oct 13 11:31:02 EDT 2009

Hi all,

Is there an easy way to determine, for example, that a
CoordinateReferenceSystem object represents a 2D horizontal CRS?  I
would guess that most of the 2D CRSs are currently horizontal, but one
could imagine an x-z coordinate system that would not be.

I know that the dimensionality can be checked with
crs.getCoordinateSystem().getDimension().  I guess one could look at
the AxisDirection of both the axes, but I'm not sure how robust this
would be (e.g. if new AxisDirections were added in future).

Thanks, Jon

--
Dr Jon Blower
Technical Director, Reading e-Science Centre
j.d.blower at reading.ac.uk
http://www.nerc-essc.ac.uk/People/Staff/Blower_J.htm