[geotk] Circle Polygon

theuns theunsheydenrych at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 06:31:08 EDT 2009

Ok, Thanks for the reply Martin

I also agree with what Adrian explained.

I displayed a world shapefile using the EPSG:3395 projection.
and draw 4 circles with radius 50km.

This is the places(more or less) where i draw them , and i measured the
diameter across the with and height, of the circle.

1. Equator , width +-100km , height +- 100km
2. Cape Town (SA) , width +-82km , height +- 82km
3. Southern Tip of South America , width +-57km , height +- 57km
4. Northern Part Greenland , width +-14km , height +- 14km

So the circle's diameter does take off further away from the equator,
and like Adrian said, it should be egg shaped (eclipses), but the circle
stay round?

I need to draw a circle,to plot radar coverages. The largest circle i
would have to draw is 500km.
So i would take Martin's suggestion to play around with different
projection's according to the need of , what to preserve.

Only thing that bother's me is the that the circle does not display
correctly, in different parts of the world with the EPSG:3395
projection?