[geotk] Spherical-earth CRS

Jon Blower j.d.blower at reading.ac.uk
Fri Apr 1 04:41:53 EDT 2011

Hi Martin,

I don't think I have lenient=true set anywhere - it was a simple Java test program with a main() method, so unless it's set elsewhere (e.g. in a config file) I'm not sure how this could have been set.

> Do you know what are the radius of the sphere used in the numerical model?

I guess it varies.  I think the CF conventions have only recently added support for specifying the ellipsoid/sphere, and there aren't many files out there in the real world that include this metadata.  So far in the absence of an explicitly-specified datum I've been using WGS84, which is unlikely to be correct for a numerical model (but more likely for observations).  I was wondering if the SPHERE CRS might be a better (or at least less bad!) approximation.  I guess there isn't an easy answer.

Cheers, Jon