[geotk] Information notice about Geotk applets

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.fr
Wed Jan 12 09:17:51 EST 2011

I take the opportunity of recent talk about applets for pointing the following URL:

http://download.geotoolkit.org/packs/

This directory contains every core (not yet pending) JAR files for every Geotk
releases, together will all their dependencies, as PACK200 (jar.pack.gz) files.
I have not yet done much publicity about this directory because:

1) I have not yet learn how to sign JAR files;

2) Applets using PACK200 worked a while ago (at least on my machine), but
doesn't seem to work anymore since many months, and I have not yet been able to
investigate why. Applets with plain JAR files work, but I wish to get PACK200
working for reducing download overhead.

If I can solve the above, using the http://download.geotoolkit.org/packs/ URL
would allow clients to download Geotk JAR files only once even if using applets
from different vendors, since they would be cached by the Java plugin.