[geotk] Re: Fwd: Request for commit

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.fr
Wed Jan 11 06:30:41 EST 2012

Hello Giuseppe

Sorry for having missed this email... Actually I think the "geotoolkit-request"
email adress if for managing subscription by the server only; I don't think that
those messages are sent to any human being. The real mailing list adress is
geotoolkit at lists.osgeo.org.

Le 11/01/12 11:26, Giuseppe La Scaleia a écrit :
> i have fixed a problem with wps client. There is  a problem with
> DescribeProcess Request in the Result Parsing. I fix it , now i am new with
> mercurial; How may create a patch?? Is possible to have commit permission on
> the repo so i commit the change??

There is many possible workflows with Mercurial. There is one possible approach:

1) Create a local copy (need to be done only once)

     hg clone http://hg.geotoolkit.org/geotoolkit/
or
     hg clone http://hg.geotoolkit.org/geotoolkit-pending/

2) Edit files, then commit. At this point, the commit is local to your machine
only. You can perform many commits before to share your changes.

     hg commit -m "Some message that describe the change."

3) When ready, share your changes. There is a choices (select only one of the
following):

- You may setup a mercurial server (may be useful if for whatever reasons you
wish to have your own branch).

- Instead of the above, you can run "hg serve" and tell us the IP adress of your
machine, so we get the changes, eventually make some edit, then push to
geotoolkit-pending. When we are done, press Ctrl-C to stop your "hg serve". The
commit will appear on the server with your ID as if the push were done by
yourself directly on the server. As a side note, this approach allows you to
share whatever change with whatever clone you wish (not necessarily
hg.geotoolkit.org) - this is the flexibility of distributed versionning systems.

- We could also create a temporary clone on http://hg.geotoolkit.org/ where you
could push your changes (it would avoid the need to run "hg serve" on your
side). We would then incorporate those changes in geotoolkit-pending with
eventual edition (again the commits would appear with your ID as if you pushed
the changes yourself). This is an approch close to the Linux development model.

- You can run "hg log --limit 10" in order to see the 10 last commits. Look at
the commit before your first commit. It should have a line like "changeset n:m"
where 'n' is a relatively small number. Run "hg diff -r n > diff.patch" where
'n' is the above number and send the diff.patch file to us by email. This is
probably an easy approach, but we would lost your ID on the server and the merge
may be a little bit more tedious for you in the future.

We want to give direct write access to contributors :-). But we would like to
etablish a procedure. Since you are the first one, we may need a little bit of
experiment in order to find the safest and more convenient way. For now, the "hg
serve" way may be the easiest way if your machine has an IP adress visible from
internet and the 8000 port is open, but I will ask for our administrator for
creating a clone were you could write (the "Linux" way).

We are also considering switching to Git because it seems to gain a strong
momentum and http://github.com/ seems a popular way to do contributions - but no
decision has been taken yet. I will post more on this list before taking any action.

     Regards,