[geotk] Issue with JAXPFeatureTypeReader

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.com
Mon Jun 29 01:36:59 PDT 2015

Hello Emmanuel

Just for elaborating a little bit on what is going on. The current
Feature model was designed about 10 years ago, and is largely inspired
from the XML schema available at that time. Some of its complexity is
rather XML-specific and not really part of the conceptual model. Since
that time, an ISO 19109:2013 draft brings a lot of clarifications. A new
set of interfaces derived from ISO 19109:2013 has been created in GeoAPI
[1] and is proposed for GeoAPI 3.1 or 4.0 (this is not yet an approved
standard; there is discussion for a new GeoAPI charter at OGC). This
model has less than half the number of interfaces than the old model,
for similar capabilities. This new model is also implemented in Apache
SIS [2], so we can test it.

Geotk is transitioning from the old Feature implementation (provided by
Geotk) to the new Feature implementation (provided by SIS). There is
changes in the way to access geometries among others. However this
transition is progressive, and we were hopping that it would be mostly
transparent so far. We may have missed a point. Johann is in best
position to see what may be happening.

Regards,

    Martin

[1] http://www.geoapi.org/snapshot/javadoc/org/opengis/feature/package-summary.html