[geotk] CRS issue with WFS module

Andrea Aime andrea.aime at geo-solutions.it
Fri Oct 27 09:52:57 PDT 2017

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 6:36 PM, Stephane Fellah <
stephanef at imagemattersllc.com> wrote:

> Simone,
>
> I agree with your analysis. I think we will have no choice to modify the
> behavior of the client. Hopefully, Martin can help us address this issue. I
> think we should report this issue as a CR to enforce the adherence to
> standards. This is a huge impediment to interoperability as every vendor
> comes out with their strategy. Given a URL to WFS, it is impossible to
> implement a client that can accommodate the different profile for each
> vendor. We are harvesting thousands of WFS on Geoplatform and access them
> in a unified way is crucial. So the usage of the short name
> EPSG:xxxx should be banned or need to be enforced to follow the standard.
> Not sure if this issue has already been addressed by OGC.

Welcome to our hell... when the GeoTools WFS client was implemented we had
to add, as configuration parameters that the user setting up the client can
choose, the following:

   - A flag to indicate if the server is flipping axis or not compared to
   the spec expectations
   - A flag to indicate if the server expect flipped axis geometries in
   their filters (because there are some doing the axis flipping on data
   return, but not on input parsing)

And well, I expect that sooner or later we'll also have to consider adding
a flag to check if the server expects flipped axis geometries in
transactions (did not happen yet only because WFS-T is not as commonly
used, imho).

If I could share a suggestion, it would be to stop working over assumptions
on what's the expected axis order based on a code, and allow the client to
just ask the server instead (and only the server, there is no guarantee the
client can/is allowed to communicate with anything else, and no guarantee
it can host a local EPSG database, quite often it won't).
Just sharing an idea after years spent fighting this axis order issue....

Cheers
Andrea

==

GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit http://goo.gl/it488V
for more information.
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003

nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate. Il
loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio,
per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora riceviate questo
messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo cortesemente di
darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla distruzione del messaggio
stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema. Conservare il messaggio stesso,
divulgarlo anche in parte, distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od
utilizzarlo per finalità diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai
principi dettati dal D.Lgs. 196/2003.

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for
the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or
proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act
(Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection
Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction,
copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is
strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the
information in this message that has been received in error. The sender
does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or
completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes
made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of
e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.