[GIS.lab] create iso image using dd

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 03:20:25 PDT 2016

Hi Markus,

>> I added to wiki information how to create bootable USB stick using
>> `dd` command (crucial seems to be `isohybrid` command) [1]. Martin
>
> I never heard about "isohybrid" and what it does here, do you have any insights?
> I only found outdated into elsewhere.
> So far I was simply using "dd" to write to USB sticks.

without isohybrid it never worked for me (I tested several USB sticks,
two gislab images). The manual says

"""
The  isohybrid  utility  modifies  an  ISO  9660  image  generated with
       mkisofs, genisoimage, or compatible utilities, to be bootable as a  CD-
       ROM or as a hard disk.
"""

Probably something related to genisoimage/mkisofs parameters [1]?

Sorry, not having better insights.

Martin

[1] https://github.com/gislab-npo/gislab/blob/master/providers/gislab-unit/gislab-unit-iso.sh#L133

--