[Graphics] Geosilk icons

Robert Szczepanek robert at szczepanek.pl
Sun Nov 8 09:19:53 EST 2009

Jody Garnett pisze:
> Rolando and myself are already supposed to be collaborating (I was
> very surprised to see new Point, Line and Polygon graphics in his new
> symbol set as they do not scale well when used dynamically to
> communicate style - but that can be our next discussion on the
> graphics list!).

Yes, scalability will be tough problem and we need to find common language.

> It is not clear to me if the uDig icon set and geosilk will be other
> resources; or part of what the graphics list mandated? I did sign up
> to this list to collaborate ....

I hope so. You focus on tiny size icons. We should just try to find
common metaphors where possible. Without revolutions...

> We need a link; or better yet a comparison; and then we need a section
> on core abstractions... As you can see GeSilk and uDig use the same
> core abstractions for web map server (a server with a map). Each has
> adjusted the core abstraction to match their icons sets representation
> of server.

There are many web services, and new ones waiting. What we need are
basic metaphors for them. As far as I know WMS, WFS, etc. does not have
such. Then we can add any overlay - server or layer.

>> More important for me is to point out common files naming rules with
>> detailed description. This way it will be easy to interchange/exchange
>> symbols and icons between projects.
>
> I have quite strict file name guidelines I need to follow for the
> eclipse environment.
> - http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/DEV/Icons
> - http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/DEV/Imagery

This will be main problem in mature projects - flexibility in practical
implementation. For sure 100% unification is impossible, but I believe
we can achieve some level of compromise.
Some parts, like filename suffix, doesn't disturb integration and are
udig specific features easy to overlay.

Robert