[Graphics] OGC Web Services symbology

Robert Szczepanek robert at szczepanek.pl
Thu Nov 12 16:24:34 EST 2009

Short summary of our discussion on three icons sets related to OWS:
geosilk [1]
uDig [2]
gis icons [3]

1. OWS icons should be composed of one common element plus additional
metaphor (map, raster, etc.).
Here we have full agreement.

2. Geosilk additions can be used as base.
WMS - map (grid in udig)
WFS - vector (called by geosilk feature; in gis icons with process symbol)
WCS - raster
WPS - process
Gis icons are to change for sure in this direction.
There are major differences how map and vector looks like, and minor
differences with raster.

3. Common element
geosilk, udig - server (arguments - well recognizable)
gis icons - piece of earth (arguments - for OWS unique (new?) symbol is
needed, as we are in the "tabula rasa" stage; alternative symbol - web [4])

Web Map Service
Web Feature Service
Web Coverage Service
Web Processing Service
We have always "web .. service". For me it's not a synonym of server.

Robert

---
[1] http://projects.opengeo.org/geosilk
[2] http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/DEV/Imagery