[Graphics] map icons SVN structure change

Robert Szczepanek robert at szczepanek.pl
Fri Apr 1 03:27:41 EDT 2011

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your notes.

W dniu 01.04.2011 02:06, Alex Mandel pisze:
> In the end, it won't be much of a problem once I get to implementing my
> keyword tagging scheme and search tool this summer as both set names,
> themes, and specific name tags will all be in the svg tags and cataloged
> in a search tool along with where in the folder structure the file resides.

My new icons committed yesterday are located in one, themed folder. So
I've moved in tag's direction, we discussed recently.
What about working together on this Python code under OSGeo svn?

Questions for the moment:

1. On-line or off-line search system?
First better for geoportals, second for desktop applications (QGIS). We
can implement both. SQLite database with pre-searched results could be
solution for both.

2. i18n problem
How to implement keywords internationalization? Sort of centralized
database with web front-end? This way we can upload any icons theme and
tag images in different languages.

3. Apart from search engine, predefined top-level groups(sets?) should
be available. Like
- transportation
- administration
One icons can be assigned to just one set or more? Multiple sets is my
opinion for today :)

4. Scalability of SVG.
How and where to define range of scalability? In database as attribute
or directly in SVG?

> Maybe we need to pick different names though since Theme seems to have
> too many definitions.

For me "theme" states for graphically consistent group of images.

Robert