Linking in revised modules

Conn Copas C.V.Copas at lut.ac.uk
Sun Aug 9 21:57:36 EDT 1992

Another beginner's question, I'm afraid. We have GRASS as a production system,
serving multiple users. I didn't install it, although I have read the relevant
docs. I'm wanting to tinker with a couple of modules, but the systems manager
is naturally concerned about data protection. He has basically insisted that I
take a copy and recompile. This is an easy solution, but expensive on disk
space. It seems to me that in principle I ought to be able to use the link
script to substitute the necessary modules and then give the user an alternate
command to invoke the revised system. Can someone please confirm whether this
is possible and maybe flag some of the anticipated problems?

--
Loughborough University of Technology          tel : (0509)263171  ext 4164
Computer-Human Interaction Research Centre     fax : (0509)610815
Leicestershire  LE11 3TU           e-mail - (Janet):C.V.Copas at uk.ac.lut
G Britain                 (Internet):C.V.Copas%lut.ac.uk at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk